The driver of the dump truck that turned over and killed 10 people in Barili town last week wasn’t authorized to use the truck, said Vice Mayor Marlon Garcia.
As a job-order employee, Alwin Bayno was forbidden by a municipal traffic ordinance to drive the dump truck or any Barili government-owned vehicle.
Garcia said they learned this when they received a letter from a former municipal councilor who authored the ordinance in 2004.
Ramon “Boy” Ewican, in his letter, urged the town council to conduct an investigation.
He said Municipal Traffic Ordinance No. 7-2004, stated that, “No job order worker shall be allowed to operate any vehicle.”
“Simple dissection suggests that the designation of Alwin Bayno, the driver and a job order worker is a gross violation of such ordinance and considering the gravity of the incident, somebody should answer for making such unfortunate designation,” Ewican said, “besides criminal and civil liabilities against anyone who may consequently be found as culprit.”
Garcia said Mayor Teresito Mariñas controls the motor pool which is under the executive department.
Bayno faces charges in court in relation to the accident which also injured more than 50 people.
Bayno drove the town’s dump truck carrying more than 60 people and a coffin to a funeral Mass when it lost its brakes and overturned on the way.
The victims were buried last Sunday.
Garcia said he welcomes the inquiry of the Ombudsman-Visayas on the incident to determine if there is any negligence on the part of local government officials.
Deputy Ombudsman for the Visayas Pelagio Apostol docketed the complaint based on reports of the Aug. 18 road accident.
Garcia also said the council will pass a resolution tomorrow asking the Provincial Board to investigate the incident.
“This is to erase doubts and biases in the investigation,” Garcia said in an interview.
Provincial General Services officer in charge Bernard Calderon said most of the dump trucks previously owned by the Capitol and donated or sold to local government units were refurbished but in good condition.
Upon turnover, it is the municipal or city government’s responsibility to maintain the vehicles, he said.
Provincial Engineer Eulogio Pelayre told Cebu Daily News that the Capitol used to own at least 50 dump trucks.
But after Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia assumed her post in 2004, the trucks were gradually sold at lower prices to some municipalities and cities in the province.
Pelayre said the provincial government is implementing an outsourcing scheme to lessen the cost of maintaining the trucks.
Of the 50 trucks, only two remain in the Capitol.
These are used to transport materials for school building construction and others.
The Provincial Engineering Office is in charge of the maintenance of all Capitol vehicles.
Pelayre also said they have repair charts to monitor the damage and repairs on their vehicles. /By Carmel Lois Matus, Correspondent