Woman says P500-boy is her missing child

Posted on May 10, 2012

1



A WOMAN came forward yesterday to claim the 2-year-old boy whom a man tried to sell to a couple in Compostela town, northern Cebu, for P500 last month.

The woman’s identity is being withheld to ensure the child’s privacy. She went to the office of the regional Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and identified the child through moles in the sole of his left foot and left temple.

The woman is a native of Argao town who’s temporarily staying at the Carmen Public Market.

She asked the help of TV5 reporter Arnold Bustamante to find her child, whom she said has been missing for two months.

She told police that a trisikad driver took her boy after her live-in partner and his garbage collector companion slept near the pawnshop in Liloan town.

She said even the guard at a pharmacy outlet witnessed the kidnapping.

“The guard even told the man not to take the child since his mother would look for him,” she said.

Bustamante brought the woman to the office of Senior Insp. Randy Caballes, chief of Research and Operation Branch of the Police Regional Office-7, after learning about the Cebu Daily News story on the child.

When the child was shown by a social worker to the woman, she cried and positively identified the child as hers.

She brought a photo that showed the child’s moles. She said she went as far as Bogo City searching for her boy and headed to the Basilicia del Sto. Niño to pray before heading to a local radio station to ask for assistance.

There she met radio and TV reporter Arnold Bustamante who informed her of about the child sold to a couple in Compostela town.

Social worker Nads Noel said they didn’t notice the moles until the woman told them about it.

While saying that the child was unable to recognize the woman, Noel said this could be because he hasn’t seen his mother since March.

The woman said the boy’s older sibling was “given” to a childless couple in Catmon town. She has five older children with her estranged husband.

DSWD Regional Information Officer Jaybee Binghay commended the local media for helping in the search.

But she said the woman’s claims must first be validated through paperworks and other evidence.

She said they will also do a study report, home visitation and “collateral interviews,” which may take a long time depending on the cooperation of the claimant.

Binghay said they will also check on the claimant’s parenting capability. /Correspondents Chito O. Aragon and Jessa Chrisna Marie J. Agua

Posted in: Uncategorized