Luz fire victim dies after heart attack

Posted on May 18, 2012

0



ANXIETY over threats of demolition and the fire last Friday may have hastened the death of a 56-year-old barangay Luz resident five days later.

The family of Nora Larbo, whose house in sitio Lubi was partly burned in the May 11 fire, said she died of a heart attack on Wednesday after suffering twin traumas.

“Naguol lagi siya kay nasunogan baya mi unya i-demolish na pud among balay,” Larbo’s daughter said.
(She was depressed and brooded because she not only suffered after the fire, she also worried about the pending demolition.)

Fr. Cris Mostajo, chairman of the Task Force on Urban Conscientization, said Largo had been suffering from hypertension and diabetes.

Court Sheriff Joseph Olmedo visited the site last May 15, the date set for the demolition of houses in the area. The demolition did not push through but the sheriff said the court’s demolition order stands.

Cebu CIty Mayor Micheal Rama expressed regret, saying “This is what I feared would happen. You can’t just demolish their houses with the fire victims still suffering from the damage.”The mayor said he would write the court sheriff to request postponement of the demolition.

Rama said Larbo’s family can claim P10,000 burial assistance from City Hall. /Edison A. Delos Angeles, Correspondent
 

Posted in: Uncategorized