Team Rama still open to Cuenco replacement

Posted on September 12, 2012

0



LESS than a month to the filing of candidacies for the 2013 elections, Team Rama is still looking for someone to run for the Cebu City south district congressional seat.

Looking for a replacement for veteran politician Antonio Cuenco, who announced his retirement from politics last week, was on top of Mayor Michael Rama’s agenda when he returned from Xiamen, China.

He said Team Rama is still open for a candidate “who can stand up against the opponent.”

Rama said he convened Team Rama allies in a breakfast meeting at the Rama compound yesterday to discuss Cuenco’s decision.

While he would not yet say who will be named to replace Cuenco, Rama said, “developments will be made in due time.”

“When a door closes, it opens a window of opportunities,” he said.

Cuenco earlier endorsed City Councilor Jose Daluz III has his replacement.

The mayor said Team Rama will still have to decide on a replacement.

“I have no problem with Joey or anyone else who can stand up against the opponent,” he said, referring to BO-PK bet and Councilor Rodrigo Abellanosa.

Rama said the decision can still wait.

The deadline for the filing of certificates of candidacies is in the first week of October.

Asked if it was possible for Team Rama to accommodate lawyer Aristotle Batuhan, Rama replied ” better ask him if he is interested.”

“If is difficult to be making statements. It should come from him and I will have to discuss that with the core group,” said Rama.

“Politics is a tale of the unexpected.”

Batuhan in an interview last Saturday said it was still early to be discussing political alliances. He said that he wanted to focus first on his consultations.

Cuenco, 80, said he decided to withdraw from a campaign because of a recurring case of vertigo, whose symptoms include severe dizziness and loss of balance. /Edison A. delos Angeles, Correspondent

Advertisements
Posted in: Uncategorized