Court asks election board to comment on Salud case

Posted on October 10, 2012

0



by Norman V. Mendoza, Correspondent

 

The motion for reconsideration of boxing promoter and gambling afficionado Rex “Wakee” Salud was given due course by the Regional Trial Court when it asked the Election Registration Board of Cordova town to comment on the matter.

RTC branch 28 Judge Raphael Yrastorza yesterday gave the Election Registration Board (ERB) of Cordova 10 days to comment on Salud’s motion for reconsideration. Judge Yrastorza upheld the ruling of the Municipal Trial Court of Consolacion and Cordova last Oct. 2.

Salud however ignored the court rulings and filed his Certificate for Candidacy (COC) for Cordova mayor last Oct. 4.

The ERB junked last month Salud’s application to transfer his voter’s registration to Cordova town. Salud brought his case to the Municipal Circuit Trial Court of Consolacion and Cordova presided by Judge Jocelyn Uy-Po which upheld the ERB ruling last Sept. 20.

Judge Yrastorza also required Salud’s lawyer Magnificus Cañete to submit their position papers after the respondent’s comment is submitted.

Atty. Enerio Ocariza, of the Comelec-Regional Office 7 and as counsel for respondents Arvin Maghanoy, Ronilo Baguio and Liza Maningo which composes the Election Registration Board represented them at the sala of Judge Yrastorza.

As this developed, Salud’s camp is withdrawing its earlier motion to ask Yrastorza to inhibit from the case.

“I will not ask for his inhibition anymore because I have high trust in him. I respected him very much.” Cañete said.

Cañete also dismissed Cordova Mayor Adelino Sitoy’s threat to file a disbarment case against him. “I’d rather concentrate on my client’s interest,” he said.

In a press statement, Salud said he would pursue his plan to contest Sitoy’s seat.

“Mr. Sitoy cannot bulldoze or backhoe me out of my Certificate of Candidacy,” Salud said in a statement.

Advertisements
Posted in: Uncategorized