Manila – Forty-four people were reported to have suffered firecracker-related injuries on Christmas Eve, and the number included a 22-year-old man from Compostella Valley who lost three fingers when he picked up a “Super Lolo,” the Department of Health said on Tuesday.
The DOH said 44 fireworks-related injuries were reported as of 6 a.m. on Tuesday, even as the agency urged Filipinos to avoid lighting firecrackers to have a safe holiday season.
It said many of the cases were from the National Capital Region (14 cases), followed by Western Visayas (eight), and Western Mindanao (five).
“There were no stray-bullet or watusi ingestion cases reported. No death was reported,” it added.
The DOH said 80 percent of the cases were males. The victims were aged 4 years to 58 years old.
Fourteen cases involved children 10 years old and younger and 24 were “active users” of firecrackers, the DOH said.
The DOH said that 18 cases were caused by piccolo while four victims were injured while they were drunk.
It added that there was no reported case of firecracker ingestion. There was also no reported case of stray bullet injury.
The DOH earlier this month launched its anti-firecracker injury campaign, which was dubbed “APIR (Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction), Iwas Paputok.”
“This year’s campaign will focus on children aged 6-10 years old as statistics show that this age group is usually the most affected,” said Health Secretary Enrique Ona.
Ona advised children not to use nor play with any firecracker/fireworks or pick any used/lighted firecracker/fireworks in order to avoid injuries. Likewise, he also cautioned parents and caregivers on the easy access of children to firecrackers which are readily available in neighborhood stores.