Retired police official killed in freak New Year’s day accident

Posted on January 2, 2013


A retired police official who once served as warden of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), died when his car, a multicab, exploded and caught fire while cruising  Trans-Central Highway, Cantipla 2, barangay Tabunan, Cebu City around 6 p.m. on New Year’s Day.

Retired Col. Salvador Sanchez, of his 60’s, of Lahug, Cebu City, was identified by his son Marlou only on Wednesday morning.

Based on the report from the Homicide Section of the Cebu City Police Office, witnesses  heard an explosion and they later saw a van type multicab on fire.

When the residents checked the multicab, a man at the driver’s seat was also suffered fatal burns.

The victim was not immediately identified, but the car’s has plate number GPY 184 was traced to Sanchez.

The younger Sanchez in an interview over dyLA, said they were disturbed when his father failed to go home on Tuesday evening. (Marlou is living near the house of his father in Lahug).

Marlou said when he saw the news about the incident in Cantipla, he verified it.

Marlou said he identified the body as that of his father based on the Seiko watch and eyeglasses that his father was wearing.

He also identified the multicab as the one driven by his father based on its plate number.

Marlou said his father came from Balamban town and was heading home.

Marlou said at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, his father sent him a text message, telling him that he would be delayed and requested him to feed his fighting cocks.

Marlou however did not know on why his father went to Balamban on new year’s day.

“Mi-text siya mga 5 p.m. kay ma-delayed kono siyag uli unya palawgan ang iyang mga manok”, Marlou said.

(He texted me aroung 5 p.m. saying he would be delayed and asked me to feed his fighting cocks.)

Marlou dismissed the possibility that there was foul play on the death of his father.

In fact, he said, the family decided to cremate his body and the ashes would be brought to his home town in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental.

“Wa to’y foul play kay wa man to’y kontra ang akong amahan”, he said.

(There may not be foul play. My father does not have enemies.)

Marlou admitted that the multicab of his father was defective and it’s engine usually conked out.

“Duna gyud to’y deperensya ang sakyanan kay naka-drive man sab ko ato”, he added.

(I think the car has a problem. I can sense it, I have driven the car.)

He added that the mullticab’s door was also defective and could not be opened immediately.

“Basin wa to siya kaabli dayon, unya gi-atake pagkakita sa kayo”, Marlou said, adding that his father has high blood pressure and kidney problems.

(Maybe he did not open the car doors immediately and had an attack when he saw the fire.)

Sanchez was appointed as warden of the CPDRC in the 90’s. Marlou said his father was also assigned in the different police stations in Cebu and Bohol until his retirement around 6 years ago.

Sanchez was survived  by his wife and three children./ Jhunnex Napallacan

Posted in: Uncategorized