Sugbo TV employees mull options

Posted on January 7, 2013

0



With their program closed until further notice, what’s to become of the employees of Sugbo TV and Sugbo News who decided not to renew their contracts?

One of them, 35-year-old Dioneses Canonigo, said he plans to work as an English teacher in one of the schools here. “It was a personal decision not to renew my contract after (the closure) last Dec.21,” he said.

Canonigo said he can’t help but feel that he was accused of stealing something after police searched them last week.

He said 95 percent of the employees signed a petition paper confirming their decision not to renew their contracts.

They submitted the paper to the Provincial Human Resources Department.

Another staffer, Felixberto Lucabon, told Cebu Daily News that even his family was affected by the shutdown.

“Naguol pud sila… Ilabi na nga gamay pa ang akong bata pero gidawat na namo ang mao nga panghitabo (I am saddened. Especially since my child is still small but my family accepted what happened),” he said.

Lucabon, whose family owns a bakeshop in barangay Poblacion in Bogo City, plans to work on their business.

Both Lucabon and Canonigo were former radio reporters of Bombo Radyo before working for the Capitol.

There were still some who decided to stay and continue work.

This included Capitol’s public information officer, Roger Serna, who said they are merely doing their work.

Serna served the Capitol for more than 20 years and is a regular employee.

“I’m just doing their job. I’ll try to be neutral as possible. If either Garcia and Magpale called I will go to them,” he said.

One of Sugbo TV’s host, Mark Anthony Daclan, said he would miss the chance to promote Cebu province as a tourist destination in the country. Daclan is the Suroy-Suroy program host.

Daclan, who worked in the program since it started, said he would truly miss the show.

“When they shut down Sugbo TV, they set aside the entire opportunities to promote Cebu to other countries especially Cebuanos living in other places,” he told Cebu Daily News.

Last Friday Serna and four staffers who decided to renew their contract met with Provincial Board (PB) members Arleigh Sitoy and Miguel Magpale.

At the conference room of the second floor of the legislative building, they agreed on the vision, mission and organizational structure of both entities.

Sitoy told reporters that he and the remaining Sugbo TV staff would still meet up and discuss other things such as a planning seminar for the staff. /Carmel Loise Matus, Correspondent

Advertisements
Posted in: Uncategorized